Smile Spotlight: Charlene | I Used to HATE My Smile — NOT Anymore!
CASE STUDY | Porcelain Veneers
Patient: Charlene, 33 Years
Problem: Did not like to smile because it was dingy, and her front teeth were chipped & uneven in size.
Solution: 10 Porcelain Veneers
We’d like to introduce you to Charlene …
Charlene was very unhappy with her smile, she even stated that she “hated her smile”. That’s not something a dentist likes to hear! So, during our consultation with Charlene, we asked her specifically why and she gave us several reasons that she disliked her smile:
- Her smile was “dingy” or discolored and stained
- Her front teeth were chipped
- Her front teeth were different sizes and had sharp edges
From a cosmetic standpoint, the worst thing you can have are your two front teeth being different sizes, as it is very noticeable being in the center of a patient’s smile. Charlene’s teeth did not have soft edges, as most female teeth have soft rounded edges that are glossy and smooth.
Charlene had a smile consultation with Dr. Anderson do discuss all the reasons she “hated” her smile. We were able to address each of the reasons that Charlene was unhappy with her smile and provided a solution … dental veneers. We performed 10 minimum-thickness porcelain veneers on her front teeth and gave her a smile that she LOVES!!
We worked with Charlene and our Smile Design customized case-planning process that predesigned her veneers ahead of time, based on how Charlene envisioned her smile to look. Impressions were taken along with dental photography, materials and shape & shading were selected. The Smile Design process allows Dr. Anderson and his Team to use the art and science of dentistry to prepare teeth and achieve excellent results. So, by using this technology – combined with Charlene’s wish list to design her new smile, Charlene was delighted with her results and now she LOVES her smile!!
Charlene’s smile transformation is amazing to see … by creating 10 new porcelain veneers, based on what she wanted her smile to look like, we have a very happy patient!
Here’s a little secret … Charlene just came in for her dental exam and we took these “after” photos of her current smile and her veneers are 10 YEARS OLD! You read that correctly… her veneers are NOT NEW!! They have had 10 years of use, but they still LOOK BEAUTIFUL!! That is the wonderful thing about porcelain veneers – they are an investment; however, with proper oral hygiene and care, they can last you a lifetime!!
Look at the differences it made to the appearance of her front teeth:
- No more dingy or stained smile
- No more chipped teeth
- No more uneven size and boxy shape to her teeth: Thanks to custom Smile Design technology, the shape of Charlene’s smile is now event, soft, and natural.
- Upper picture (before photo) shows staining and discoloration
- Bottom picture is the image from her recent dental exam of her 10-year-old porcelain veneers showing Charlene’s natural and beautiful smile.
- Porcelain Veneers can improve the symmetry of a smile.
- Porcelain Veneers can cover teeth that are severely discolored or misshapen.
- Porcelain Veneers are a more natural-looking cosmetic dentistry option.
- Porcelain Veneers have a level of detail and craftsmanship that can be achieved through Dr. Anderson’s custom Smile Design technology to create the smile Charlene wanted.
10 years ago, Charlene told me how much she “hated” her smile and that she wanted to love her smile again. So, by using our custom Smile Design technology, we worked together to create a smile that she wanted. You can see how beautifully her smile looks 10 years later … even, bright and natural. The best part is … Charlene LOVES TO SMILE!!
- Regain Your Confidence: Smile Makeover with Cosmetic Dentistry
- What Are the 3 Most Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures to Enhance Your Smile?
We Believe: Everyone Should LOVE Their Smile!
We love to improve the smiles of our patients – because we love to see them smile! From dental exams to complete smile makeovers that include various cosmetic dentistry options – the professional team at the offices of Thomas L. Anderson, DDS and Associates are constantly fine-tuning their craft through the art and science of dentistry to deliver the results their patients want.
Dr. Anderson and his team take the time to consult with each patient and understand what they like and do not like about their smile and what they envision as the result they want. Custom options are discussed, questions are answered, and the custom Smile Design process begins with the smile of their dreams as the result.
Please schedule a smile consultation if you are not happy with your smile. We hope you will visit us, so we can understand what you do and do not like about your current smile and how you would like to see your smile transform.
If you’d like to look at another one of our SMILE SPOTLIGHT patients who had Porcelain Veneers, check out Ann’s Story.
Throw a “Feel Good Party” In Your Brain!
Did you know that when you smile at someone, it coaxes their brain to smile back at you? Smiling allows our brains to release endorphins that activate the reward centers in our brains, allowing us the opportunity to live longer and heathier lives.
So, you see, a smile is not just an accessory we wear on our faces. A smile can change our mood or someone else’s. A smile can help you feel better and be happier. Smiling intentionally can change your brain chemistry. That is powerful!
Here is why smiling is so important:
Smiling Affects Your Brain
Wanna throw a “feel good party” in your brain? That is exactly what happens when you smile. Your smile activates the release of neuropeptides that help fight stress. You’ve heard these neurotransmitters called dopamine, endorphins and serotonin; they’re all released in your brain when you smile. Not only does smiling de-stress or relax your body, but it also lowers your blood pressure and heart rate.
When you smile, you come across as more approachable, reliable, relaxed, sincere AND attractive!
Smiling Affects Your Surroundings
We’ve always heard that “smiling is contagious” and it’s true. In a study, when people were shown pictures of different emotions like anger, joy, fear, surprise and smiling – they automatically imitated the emotion they saw in the picture. However, if they were asked to frown while looking at a photo of someone smiling, they had to make a conscious effort to turn their smile upside down.
So, when you smile at someone, they can’t help but smile back at you. If they don’t, it’s because they are making a conscious effort to NOT smile at you.
Pretty interesting, don’t you think?
Are YOU Ready for a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover is exciting. It can completely change the look of your smile and give you a huge boost in confidence. Essentially, a smile makeover is using one or more procedures to enhance the look of your smile. These procedures may include a few different enhancement and restorative services provided by Thomas L. Anderson and Associates, such as:
- Porcelain veneers: thin, wafer-like shells that are bonded to the top of your teeth and improve the appearance of your teeth. Learn more HERE.
- Invisalign invisible braces: clear aligners that straighten your teeth. What’s the difference between Braces and Invisalign? Learn more HERE.
- Professional teeth whitening: removing stains on your teeth.
- Dentures: removable appliances that replace teeth.
- Dental implants: artificial tooth roots and crowns.
- Crowns and bridges: A dental crown is a type of dental restoration which completely caps or encircles a tooth or dental implant.
Related Article: Reinvent Your Smile with a Smile Makeover
What Does a Smile Makeover Help With?
Many enhancement services, such as veneers, invisible braces, and implants can help with functionality, as well as a beautiful appearance. A complete smile makeover can target:
- Misalignment: Both porcelain veneers and Invisalign aligners target misaligned or crooked teeth. Invisalign aligners will move the teeth you have and put them into proper alignment over the span of a few weeks or months. Porcelain veneers can fix crooked teeth by putting the new shell on top of the crooked tooth. Veneers can be put on a single tooth, or multiple teeth.
- Missing teeth: Missing teeth can take away from your youthful appearance and make you look older than you are; thy can also increase the risk of decay. Dental implants, bridges, and dentures are wonderful ways to restore your full smile.
- Discolored teeth: Years of stains can take a toll on the whiteness of your teeth. Professional whitening services go above and beyond over-the-counter remedies and remove stains from within the tooth. Porcelain veneers can also be used to improve dull, discolored teeth, all while looking natural and bright.
Want to see examples of some of these procedures? Check out this slideshow from WebMD!!
With every restorative and enhancing treatment, it’s important to know how big of an impact good oral hygiene is. With every treatment, you’ll receive the best, and longest lasting results when you stick to a daily hygiene routine and regularly check in with your dentist.
We Can Help …
Although a smile makeover can give you the smile of your dreams, your health habits can change how long they last. When you undergo a smile makeover and keep up with your regular cleanings, you’ll have a smile you can be confident and proud of forever! At Thomas L. Anderson and Associates, we will work closely with you to help you reach your smile goals and create a treatment plan customized for you.
Contact us today to schedule your dental appointment and meet with our skilled dentists at one of our three conveniently located dental office locations within the Kansas City area, including Lee’s Summit / Independence, the Country Club Plaza and Downtown Kansas City. The gentle dentists and expert team at Thomas L. Anderson and Associates look forward to working with you to treat your dental emergency, achieve proper oral health and a beautiful smile that will last a lifetime. If you have any questions about your dental insurance benefits, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to review your policy! Please give us a call today to schedule an appointment and become part of our dental family.